History of Interpretation
- What are four types of ancient Jewish exegesis and what person
or group is associated with the non-literal types?
- What type of exegesis did Jesus usually use?
- What about the Jewish way of conflating scriptures seems
strange to modern readers?
- What about the apostles' way of referring to Old Testament
scriptures seems disturbing to modern readers?
- In what two ways does Paul use the word "seed"?
- What two famous interpreters of scripture were from
Alexandria? What method of interpretation did they use?
- Do you think that any of Augustine's twelve principles of
interpretation are of questionable validity? If so, which
- What city from the ancient world was noted for grammatical-
historical interpretation? What individual caused it to be
brought into disrepute?
- What were the four levels of Medieval exegesis?
- What two individuals of the Reformation are mostly
responsible for calling the use of allegory into question?
- The rise of what philosophical position called the scriptures
- What was Schleiermacher's view of inspiration?
- How was the main question of interpretation changed by
- What position does neo-orthodoxy occupy in its view of the
- When did the "new hermeneutic" emerge? Who was the leading
biblical scholar advocating the "new hermeneutic"?
- What word is used to refer to imparting the reader's meaning
into the text?
Last Updated March 25, 2002
Page maintained by
Copyright © 2002 Bruce Terry